Recently, I attended a workshop based all around the idea of image transfer, this workshop was based in the Art and Design Maker studio. I had never even ventured to the above floor until today so it was interesting seeing other work spaces and studios. It was exciting having the opportunity to work in a brand-new space to me.
The first thing on today’s agenda was experimenting with collaging. The first step was so cover a clear plastic sheet (any plastic can be use e.g. plastic bag/polly-pockets) with clear thin tissue paper and Marvin medium glue. This created a base layer to collage on top of. The more layers of tissue paper you place now, is the opaquer your background will be. I decided to only do one layer as I didn’t want the background taking attention away from the colours and images I would be using to build up my collage.
I used colours inspired from my colour board. I couldn’t use the exact colours and I was only given a small array of various papers to use. Using various shades of blue and silver, I began layering up a sea inspired theme. I tore up various length and arranged them in the shape of waves. I also decided to add various threads and wool. I thought this would add more depth and texture to my design. I decided not to add images this collage as I wanted to experiment with colour. This has helped inspire me when it comes to my colour board; seeing how various blues layer up and complement each other. For my second one I decided to add images that first inspired me from Pinterest and sea life websites. This was also helpful I got to compares the colours I was layering with the colours that ran through the sea creatures. These collages take two days to dry so I do not have a finished picture to post but I will once they dry. Once dry I can use this collage as a fabric, so stitch into or cut up as I please.
Next we moved onto transferring images onto blocks of wood. We were given a premade block that already had an image glued to it using Marvin medium glue, this was left to set for two days before hand. I painted the paper on the block in water then slowly and gently started rubbing away the paper and revealed the image. This works as the toners from the ink when the image is printed out attaches to the glue and the paper is removed leaving the image behind. I then had to varnish the image onto the wood to transfer the image permanently. This is a great technique to have learned and I can think of many ways to use this in and out of university. I like the vintage look the image has where I had rubbed away the paper to aggressively.
Lastly we moved on to the most exciting technique of the day. We had images that had been printed out onto lazar-tan paper using a lazar jet printer. Firstly, we soaked our cut out images in a tub of water for at least 30 seconds, this lead to the image rolling up completely. After unravelling this, the image printed onto the paper completely slid off the paper, and onto the wooden block. This was the most satisfying feeling in the World. This also needs to be set with varnish to become permanent. This technique was a lot slicker than the previous method and the entire image was transferred in one.
I thoroughly enjoyed this workshop and I learned a lot about image transfer. I have received my own sheet of lazar-tan paper to experiment on my own. I am going to experiment further using images in relation to my subject work and consider even more ways of image transfer.